The Maine Crafts Association and The Society of Arts + Crafts have collaborated to offer MCA Members the opportunity to exhibit at CraftBoston Holiday 2017 in an MCA booth shared by two to five MCA Member artists and subsidized by The Society and the MCA. Artists selected to participate in the MCA Mentor Booth Program will be provided information and training by professionals in the field and catered to the individual artists’ experience and needs. Program participants will be granted automatic entry into CraftBoston Holiday the following two years as independent exhibitors. Artists apply to the MCA program through an application process outlined below and are juried & selected for the booth by the Society of Arts + Craft staff.
- MCA members and non-members who have never participated in CraftBoston may apply.
- Applicants must be Maine residents.
- For non-members: MCA 2017 Professional Membership ($100) must be paid upon acceptance into the booth.
- All work must be original and made by hand or with the use of appropriate tools. CraftBoston encourages one-of-a-kind and limited edition work.
- No commercial reproductions of any kind are allowed. This includes embellished commercially made objects and works assembled (wholly or in part) from commercially available kits.
- Acceptable media categories: baskets, ceramics, fiber decorative, fiber wearable, furniture, glass, jewelry, leather, metal, mixed media, paper and wood. Categories not included: calligraphy, painting, photography, lithography, etc., except when incorporated into an otherwise acceptable craft category.
- Collaborating artists are permitted; however, any representation other than a true, hands-on artistic collaboration is not permitted.
- Artists may only show work in categories selected by the jury. All work exhibited must be of the same body, quality, category of work that was juried through digital images.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The online application form is at https://goo.gl/HRLakY
Upload five (5) color images (.jpg or .png) representing current work. Images files must be titled as follows: lastname01, lastname02 etc. Images must accurately represent the body of work to be exhibited at CraftBoston Holiday. Artists are strongly advised to submit images of professional quality.
Upload current resume.
June 12, midnight EXTENDED to JUNE 19th: Application Deadline
June 30: MCA Mentor Booth Program Exhibitors announced
July 14: Participant confirmation and deposit due
July: Exhibitor Conference call with MCA staff
August date location TBD: Mandatory exhibitor meeting with Society staff & mentors
September 8: Booth Balance due
September: date/location TBD: Exhibitor booth design planning session
November: if needed: date/ location TBD: exhibitor meeting to finalize booth design
December 11: Exhibitor “last minute” conference call with MCA staff
Wednesday Dec 13 & Thursday Dec 14: Load in
December 14: Opening preview party, exhibitor attendance mandatory.
December 15, 16, 17: CraftBoston Holiday 2017 public dates (load-out Sunday night)
- Artists accepted for participation must be in attendance at their booth during the show. Assistants discouraged due to number of exhibitors in booth.
- MCA will preview all applications and then submit to the Society staff to select the final participants.
- The MCA Mentor Booth will accommodate two to five exhibitors. The booth size and fees will be determined once the number of participants is confirmed.
- Program participants will be granted automatic entry into CraftBoston Holiday the following two years as independent exhibitors.
- Program participants will be responsible for their own transportation to, and accommodations in, Boston.
MENTOR BOOTH PROGRAM FEES & FINANCES
- Application Fee: $0
- Non-Refundable Deposit (due upon acceptance to the program): $100
- Participation fees are usually around $700 per artist for booth space, electricity, pipe and drape and preparation and training. There may be additional booth design costs, to be determined by the shared elements of booth design. MCA contributes some booth components at no additional cost to the artists.
- Travel and accommodations are the responsibility of the individual artists.
- Additional/individual marketing opportunities are available for program participants. Fees may apply.
- Each participant will be required to apply for their own Massachusetts sales tax identification number; instructions will be provided.
- Each participant will be responsible for their own sales, and should be prepared to accept credit cards.
A competitive show comprised of over 175 fine craft exhibitors, CraftBoston Holiday is a highly regarded must-attend event for artists, collectors, and craft enthusiasts. CraftBoston is a mission-driven event that encourages the creation, collection, and conservation of the work of craft artists while promoting the public appreciation of fine craftsmanship. It features work by emerging artists from leading schools and universities, an artist mentor program, a craft bookseller, tours for special interest groups, and informational booths promoting non-profit craft organizations.
Presented at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston’s affluent Back Bay neighborhood, CraftBoston Holiday is conveniently located in a fashionable, concentrated shopping district and draws large crowds that include tourists, a loyal local population, and shoppers from the affluent suburbs of the greater Boston area. The combined effects of innovative programming, the holiday season, a shopping and art savvy neighborhood location, and highly concentrated marketing efforts ensures a strong audience of educated buyers at CraftBoston Holiday.
Show marketing includes:
- Extensive advertising and public relations throughout metro Boston and New England
- Advertising in national craft magazines geared towards serious craft collectors
- Free full-color promotional materials
- Dedicated webpage for each artist on the CraftBoston website
- Downloadable jpg’s, press releases, discount code stamps
- Upon request: free postcards and printed discount stickers
- Print marketing opportunities for various prices
- Extensive event coverage on social media sites including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube.
Artist amenities include:
- Easy load-in/load-out
- Exhibitor dinner available Thursday evening
- 24-hour on-site security
- Free booth sitting services
- Secure jewelry lock-up available
- Discounted advance admission tickets
The Society of Arts & Crafts
Incorporated in 1897, The Society of Arts + Crafts is the oldest non-profit craft organization in the United States. The Society has been at the forefront of the American craft movement fostering the development, sales, recognition and education of craft for over 100 years.