Updated March 2, 2020
The Center for Maine Craft in West Gardiner and Maine Craft Portland often have openings for sales associates. See below for open positions.
Center for Maine Craft Seeks Part-Time Sales Associate & Travel Counselor
Posted: March 2, 2020
About the Center
The Center, a project of the Maine Crafts Association, is home to a retail gallery and an exhibition gallery together representing more than 300 Maine craft artists annually. The Maine Crafts Association opened the Center in November 2008 in an effort to support Maine artists and organizations through retail sales in a high traffic location. The Center increases awareness of the significant role craft artists play in Maine’s culture, economy and heritage. The Center is located in West Gardiner, Maine at the West Gardiner Service Plaza. The Center is also home to a Visitor Information Center that assists travelers with information, maps, routes and other travel inquiries.
The Center for Maine Craft is looking for a part-time sales associates/travel counselor that will be responsible for a full range of sale, store and travel information support initiatives. Job success will rely on strong customer service and friendly personality, ability to work with a retail sales team, and understanding of Maine tourism and local economy.
Hours and Pay
Part-time sales associates / travel counselors are needed for 15-35 hours/week May through December. Hours may be reduced Oct-Nov and Jan-May. Must be available nights, weekends and Holidays. Pay is $12/hour.
Sales Associates are responsible for making and processing sales, handling fine craft objects, managing inventory and maintaining display and store appearance. Sales Associates are responsible for communicating information about the Center’s artists, craft objects, mission and programs to the various constituencies who visit the Center each day. Sales associates assist manager and assistant manager in additional projects and events as needed. The Sales associate will also be allocated to the information desk located in the Center for Maine Craft. Basic information desk operation entails providing personalized, over -the-counter tourist information services to walk-in-visitors seeking travel assistance and tourism-oriented literature about the state of Maine.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1. Greeting of all visitors into the Center
2. Complete cash register sales using Windows 10 / Quickbooks Point of Sale, wrapping and packing items for customers
3. Completing inventory receiving protocols
4. Talking with and educating customers about Maine craft
5. Keeping information brochures stocked at visitor info center and cultural tourism display
6. Provide Maine state road maps
7. Give verbal and written directions to walk-in travelers
8. Accepting the duties of opening/closing procedures
9. Gallery maintenance – dusting, vacuuming, sweeping, taking out trash, etc.
10. Advocate for The Center for Maine Craft’s visibility, stature, and significance within the community.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• General knowledge, or interest in, hand-made craft (or willingness to learn!)
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
• Willingness to work flexible hours, nights and weekends as well as on call weekdays
• Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
• Knowledge of Point of Sale Systems and comfort with common computer hardware and software
• Strong Customer Service
• Retail experience a plus, but we will hire and train smart and friendly folks!
To Apply Complete the form by following the link below.
For more information contact Center Manager Whitney Gill: email@example.com
No phone calls please.
Maine Crafts Association does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, national origin, ancestry, public assistance, ethnic background, religion, marital status, economic class, age, disability or handicap (mental or physical), sex, creed, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression and any other legally protected characteristics in admission or participation in its programs, services and activities, or in employment. Maine Crafts Association complies with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will take “affirmative action” measures to ensure the enforcement of its policies.