The Center for Maine Craft is seeking a new addition to their retail sales team!
We are offering approximately 20 – 25 hours per week (three 8-hour shifts) through Christmas, with reduced hours available after the holidays. Candidates must be available to work weekends, holidays, and evenings. Please read on for full details.
Open Position: Center for Maine Craft Part-Time Gallery Sales Associate & Travel Consultant
About the Center
The Center for Maine Craft is a retail gallery and resource center owned and operated by the Maine Crafts Association. The Center acts to increase public awareness of the significant role craft artists play in Maine’s culture, economy and heritage. Since its opening in November 2008, the retail gallery has supported Maine artists and organizations through retail sales, exhibitions, and events in a unique high-traffic location within the West Gardiner Service Plaza. In partnership with the Maine Office of Tourism, the Center for Maine Craft also provides travelers with statewide visitor information, maps, routes and other travel inquiries.
The Center for Maine Craft employs part time hourly Gallery Sales Associate & Travel Consultants both seasonally and year round. Gallery sales associate & travel consultants are the front of house support of Center sales and travel efforts. Job success will rely on strong customer service and friendly personality, ability to work with a retail sales team, and understanding of Maine tourism and local economy.
Hours and Pay
Part-time Gallery sales associate & travel consultants are needed for 15-35 hours/week May through December. Hours may be reduced Oct-Nov and Jan-May. Must be available nights, weekends and holidays. Store Hours: 9am – 6pm (may increase in 2022 tourism season to 9am – 8pm). Pay is $15/hour. MCA offers optional vision and dental insurance plans to part time employees, plans are paid 75% by MCA and are available with no waiting period.
Gallery Associate & Travel Consultants are strong advocates for the Maine Crafts Association and its members. They actively promote the visibility, stature, and significance of the organization within the community, and they work with their teammates to cultivate a positive working, shopping and learning environment. Gallery sales associate & travel consultants are responsible for making and processing sales, handling fine craft objects, managing inventory and maintaining display and store appearance. They are responsible for communicating information about the Center’s artists, craft objects, mission and programs to the various constituencies who visit the Center each day.
Travel Consultation: Gallery sales associate & Travel Consultants are also responsible for daily maintenance and attendance of the information desk, located within the Center for Maine Craft. Basic information desk operations entail providing personalized, over-the-counter tourist information services to walk-in-visitors seeking travel assistance and tourism-oriented literature about the state of Maine. Gallery sales associate & travel consultants assist management in additional projects and events as needed. Opportunities for growth within the organization are available as Maine Crafts Association programs and services continue to grow.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- General knowledge and interest in handmade craft (or willingness to learn!)
- Experience with retail and/or hospitality industry
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Ability to work flexible hours, nights and weekends as well as on call weekdays
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Knowledge of Point of Sale Systems, Microsoft Office, Google Drive. WordPress and WooCommerce a plus!
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Greeting of all visitors into the Center (travel desk and front desk)
- Strong customer service + ability to speak comfortably with anyone and everyone!
- Talking with and educating customers about Maine craft
- Wrapping and packing items for customers
- Knowledge of exchange policy & processing of account credit in Point of Sale system
- Manual sales: shipping procedures, over the phone orders, and power outages
- Webshop orders: Sales processing, inventory, packing and shipping
Visitor Information Center:
- Keeping information brochures stocked at visitor info center and cultural tourism display
- Providing Maine state road maps
- Giving verbal and written directions to walk-in travelers
- Daily upkeep of essential tracking logs
- Maintaining general tidiness of VIC area daily
- Knowledge of MCA levels and benefits and ability to communicate membership information to inquiring constituents
- Processing MCA membership payments using Point of Sale system
- Entering membership information into MCA’s online databases and Point of Sale system
Daily Upkeep of Retail Operations:
- Cleaning counters and displays, sanitizing, vacuuming, trash removal, recycling
- Restocking front-desk necessities such as gift bags, jewelry boxes, and printed materials for jury & membership inquiries
- Accepting and performing the duties of opening/closing procedures
- Booking appointments and accepting drop offs from Center vendors
- Assisting vendors with basic inventory requests (inventory forms, delivery lists, etc)
- Tagging & quickly moving inventory into displays and storage
- Organizing warehouse & cabinets
- Maintaining clean and well stocked displays
- Counting Inventory (as directed by managers)
To Apply: Please be prepared to provide a cover letter and resume with job references at the link below.
The Center is located at the West Gardiner Travel Plaza; Rt 126 (AKA Lewiston Road), off Exit 103 from 95 Southbound; Exit 102 from 95 Northbound; Exit 51 from I-295.
Maine Crafts Association does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, national origin, ancestry, public assistance, ethnic background, religion, marital status, economic class, age, disability or handicap (mental or physical), sex, creed, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression and any other legally protected characteristics in admission or participation in its programs, services and activities, or in employment. Maine Crafts Association complies with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will take “affirmative action” measures to ensure the enforcement of its policies.
The Maine Crafts Association believes that diversity and inclusion are essential to fulfilling its vision of building and supporting our community of craft artists. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the MCA experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. MCA is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.