4/8/2021 – This position is now filled. MCA retail galleries accept job applications on a rolling basis, you may still complete the application form if you wish to be added to the list of future potential hires!
Maine Craft Portland
Part-Time Gallery Consultant
About Maine Craft Portland
Maine Craft Portland is a retail gallery and resource center owned and operated by the Maine Crafts Association. Maine Craft Portland acts to increase public awareness of the significant role craft artists play in Maine’s culture, economy and heritage. Since its opening in July, 2018, the retail gallery has supported over 200 Maine artists and multiple organizations through retail sales, exhibitions, and events in the Arts District of Portland.
Maine Craft Portland resides in the historic building Maine Mechanics Hall, In 1815, the Maine Charitable Mechanic Association was the fellowship for Portland’s creative community: the blacksmiths, coopers, carpenters, and more. Between 1857 and 1859, they built Mechanics’ Hall to house their library and become a communal gathering space. Present day Mechanics’ Hall connects to that rich history by inspiring and enriching the community while promoting ingenuity, creativity, innovation and the diffusion of useful knowledge. The original 1890’s cabinetry in Maine Craft Portland houses our makers work beautifully with a communal thread of support.
The Maine Craft Portland team includes part time hourly Gallery Consultants both seasonally and year round. Job success will rely on strong customer service and friendly personality, ability to work with a retail sales team, retaining knowledge of our craft artists work and general knowledge of our MCA Programming.
Hours and Pay
Part-time Gallery Consultants are mostly needed May through December, 5-25 hours a/wk. Hours may be reduced Jan-May. Must be available First Friday Art Walk evenings , weekends and holidays. Store Hours: 10am – 6pm summer + holidays, 10am – 5pm in the off-season. Pay is $15/hour. MCA offers optional vision and dental insurance plans to part time employees, plans are paid 75% by MCA and are available with no waiting period.
Gallery consultants are strong advocates for the Maine Crafts Association and its members. They actively promote the visibility, stature, and significance of the organization within the community, and they work with their teammates to cultivate a positive working, shopping and learning environment. Gallery consultants are responsible for making and processing sales, handling fine craft objects, restocking items & maintaining store and display appearance. They are responsible for communicating information about Maine Craft Portland’s artists, craft objects, MCA mission and programs to the various constituencies who visit the gallery each day. Gallery consultants assist the manager, assistant manager, and inventory associates in additional projects and events as needed, whether in store or inter-communication with the Center for Maine Craft.
Maine Craft Portland Gallery Consultants are the front-of-house representatives.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- General knowledge and interest in handmade craft (or willingness to learn!)
- Experience with retail and/or hospitality industry
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Ability to work flexible hours, nights and weekends as well as on call weekdays.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Knowledge of Point of Sale Systems, Microsoft Office, Google Drive. WordPress and WooCommerce a plus!
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Greeting of all visitors into Maine Craft Portland
- Strong customer service + ability to speak comfortably with anyone and everyone!
- Talking with and educating customers about Maine craft
- Wrapping and packing items for customers carefully & thoughtfully
- Knowledge of exchange policy & processing of account credit in Point of Sale system
- Manual sales: shipping procedures, over the phone orders, and power outages
- Knowledge of MCA levels and benefits and ability to communicate membership information to inquiring constituents
- Processing MCA membership payments using the Point of Sale system
- Entering membership information into MCA’s online databases and Point of Sale system
Daily Upkeep of Retail Operations:
- Accepting and performing the duties of opening/closing procedures
- Daily vacuuming/mopping, dusting of all displays , trash removal
- Restocking front-desk necessities such as gift bags, jewelry boxes, folding of tissue and printed materials for special requests, membership inquiries, consignment sheets & jury materials.
- Booking appointments and accepting drop offs from Maine Craft Portland vendors
- Assisting vendors with basic inventory requests (inventory forms, delivery lists, etc)
- Tagging & quickly moving inventory into displays and storage. Restocking as items sell.
- Organizing warehouse & cabinets
- Counting Inventory (as directed by managers or inventory associate)
To Apply: Please be prepared to provide a cover letter and resume with job references at the link below.
Maine Crafts Association does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, national origin, ancestry, public assistance, ethnic background, religion, marital status, economic class, age, disability or handicap (mental or physical), sex, creed, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression and any other legally protected characteristics in admission or participation in its programs, services and activities, or in employment. Maine Crafts Association complies with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will take “affirmative action” measures to ensure the enforcement of its policies.
The Maine Crafts Association believes that diversity and inclusion are essential to fulfilling its vision of building and supporting our community of craft artists. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the MCA experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. MCA is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.