The Maine Crafts Association and Maine Crafts Guild are working to combine all that both organizations have to offer and emerge with a single Maine craft organization supporting our joint missions to better support Maine craft artists and provide a rich variety of opportunities.
On April 30, 2019 the Transition Team had its second meeting in Portland.
The subgroups focusing on previously identified tasks reported on discussions and information collected since the committee’s first meeting:
• Vision Statement was created to guide the process of bringing MCG and MCA together:
The Maine Crafts Guild and the Maine Crafts Association are working collaboratively to create one statewide craft organization. Building on the strengths of each organization we will combine resources while maintaining the history and legacy of each group to better serve the needs of our members and promote craft throughout the state of Maine.
• Reading material and resources related to best practices for merging organizations were shared
• Membership and Jury team met to discuss integration of a Guild level membership and jury process into MCA’s existing membership structure beginning 2020
• Board, Leadership and Bylaws team identified MCA bylaw amendments to be considered at the time of the merge; Transition Team is in agreement on adding a Standards Committee to MCA board committee structure
• Communication, Marketing and Culture team is finalizing plans for a social gathering/event connected to the Maine Crafts Guild’s Belfast show in August 2019
• Determine name of future Guild craft show series (2020 and beyond)
• Identify organizational and bylaw changes as needed
New items the Committee identified:
• Have MCA/MCG booths at each Maine Crafts Guild show during the 2019 season
• Develop a Tech team to address website and online jury process integration
• Assess craft show signage and branding and create timeline to make changes
Additionally, the Team agreed to offer FREE admission to all current MCA members to the 2019 MGC Fine Craft Shows in 2019. Simply sign-in as an MCA member at the registration desk at the show.
As always, thank you for your support during this process.
Lisa Gent, MCG President
Tyler Gulden, MCA President