Maine Craft Portland
Employment Opportunity: Retail Gallery Manager
Deadline: Monday April 23rd, 5pm.
Maine Craft Portland is a new retail gallery and resource space for the Maine Crafts Association planned to open summer 2018 in downtown Portland, Maine in Mechanic’s Hall. The MCA is currently seeking to hire a store manager to start immediately, supporting the start-up phase and managing the retail gallery once it is open.
An effective, friendly, detail orientated professional with experience managing a team in a retail, gallery, non-profit or other arts setting. The successful candidate will demonstrate his or her ability to lead projects & people, have a good eye, a strong work ethic and be motivated to develop this new MCA space into a highly successful and well-regarded member of the arts district.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to Sadie Bliss, MCA Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance HSA plan with partial employer contribution (after 90 days)
- Paid Time Off: 10 vacation, 8 holiday, 5 sick
- MCA Professional Membership
- 25% Discount on store purchases at all MCA locations, plus additional staff sale days
- Professional Development opportunities
Retail Gallery Start Up
The Manager will begin employment as soon as possible, playing a major role in the development of the new store. The manager will work closely with the MCA Director to complete all aspects of opening a new store including: displays, POS systems, inventory and hiring a team. The manager will plan opening events coordinated with funders and Mechanics Hall.
The Maine Craft Portland Manager will be responsible for the daily operations of the store; ensuring that all systems are functioning, staffing levels are maintained, the store is well stocked for each season and visually appealing, clean and comfortable for shoppers and that a full calendar of programming and exhibitions is planned. The manager is the primary contact for staff, customers, vendors and the general public for the store. The manager also represents the Maine Crafts Association and is responsible for communicating our vision, initiatives and opportunities to our constituencies.
- Oversee exhibition calendar: Mount a variety of exhibitions throughout the year, mixing income-earning with less profitable. Delegate curating, planning, installing as needed.
- Oversee programming calendar: Host a variety of events (trunk shows, sales, craft shows, demos, book signings, retail education) throughout the year. Delegate as needed.
- Post to social media about Maine Craft Portland programming and events
Vendors, Inventory & Sales
- Oversee/manage/delegate all ordering, receiving, stocking
- Meet annual sales goals set by MCA Board of Directors
- Create monthly sales goals and sales associate sales incentives
- Coordinate with Business Manager to meet Physical Inventory requirements
- Jury: oversee all duties associated with the craft and comp juries
- Post to social media about Maine Craft Portland products
- Enforce annual membership requirement for vendors
- Vendor communications – annual letter, consignment agreement, other updates
- Approve / manage customer returns as needed
- Maintain a positive work environment, lead by example and achieve high staff morale
- Recruit / hire sales associates and other store staff: ensure enough staffing for store to operate
- Document staff issues / offences in event of need to terminate
- Coordinate with business manager to complete new hire paperwork prior to payroll deadline.
- Submit approved and correct hourly employee hours to Director for payroll purposes
- Manage, schedule and communicate staff trainings, meetings, parties and @COST day
- Attend bi-monthly MCA manager meetings
- Conduct annual staff evaluations for all Maine Craft Portland employees
- Create, enforce, manage schedule
- Oversee guide and support sales associates and assistant manager in their duties and projects
- Make daily bank deposits at Bangor Savings Bank
- Create and update reference docs, policies, procedures, manual, staff contact list
- Technology hardware (computers, phone) and software (POS) and internet current and operational
- Oversee all physical functions of the space such as lighting, electricity, doors/locks, etc.
- Manage weather-related or other closings
Assist Director and/or Business Manager as needed with:
- Maine Craft Portland specific marketing
- Merchant services contracts / accounts
- Internet and phone accounts
- Lease with Maine Charitable Mechanics Association – meeting requirements / rules.
Sales Associate Positions
Maine Craft Portland plans to hire sales associates after the Manager has been hired. If you would like to be considered for one of these part-time $14/hour positions please email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com