A statewide apprentice program for contemporary craft practitioners offered by the Maine Crafts Association, in partnership with the Maine Arts Commission, with generous funding from the National Endowment for the Arts.
The Maine Craft Apprentice Program is a production of the Maine Crafts Association and the Maine Arts Commission. The program is a seven-month learning experience for apprentices who demonstrate a commitment to acquiring new skills, tools and management habits and furthering their craft practice; they accomplish this through a significant relationship with a mentor artist. CAP celebrates the mentor artist/apprentice relationship as a way to generate creative entrepreneurship, envisioning a sustainable and resilient craft sector for Maine.
- Providing makers with relevant and alternative educational experiences.
- Promoting and facilitating craft as a viable career path.
- Fostering deliberate mentoring.
- Facilitating professional development of emerging makers.
- Increasing pool of craft makers in the state.
- Providing makers with alternative means of professional funding.
- Develop and promote peer learning in the Maine craft community.