The Maine Craft Apprentice Program is a production of the Maine Crafts Association and the Maine Arts Commission. The program is a seven-month learning experience for apprentices who demonstrate a commitment to acquiring new skills, tools and management habits and furthering their craft practice; they accomplish this through a significant relationship with a mentor artist. CAP celebrates the mentor artist/apprentice relationship as a way to generate creative entrepreneurship, envisioning a sustainable and resilient craft sector for Maine.
- Providing makers with relevant and alternative educational experiences.
- Promoting and facilitating craft as a viable career path.
- Fostering deliberate mentoring.
- Facilitating professional development of emerging makers.
- Increasing pool of craft makers in the state.
- Providing makers with alternative means of professional funding.
- Develop and promote peer learning in the Maine craft community.