2023 Weekend Photos!
2022 Weekend Photos!
2024 MCA WEEKEND WORKSHOP @ HAYSTACK
Weekend Dates: May 9 – 12, 2024
Registration Date: TBD (see below for registration details)
The MCA invites you (MCA members and non-members) for three and a half days of studio workshops at Haystack Mountain School of Crafts. Instruction, room, and board are included in the fee. Join us to spend dedicated time in the Haystack Studios with exceptional instructors and fellow students (and to enjoy good food + views!). The MCA Weekend Workshop is our oldest ongoing (and likely favorite!) program that began in 1983 as an annual event in partnership with Haystack Mountain School of Crafts; we cherish our time there and the opportunity it provides our organization and craft artists in, and new to, our network.
REGISTRATION DATE: TBD
- Participants in our 2024 Weekend Workshop @ Haystack must follow the online registration process to be placed in a workshop. Each participant must fill out the registration form for themselves using their own email address. The registration form will not allow two submissions from the same email address.
- Registration works by selecting a first and second choice workshop and first and second choice accommodations and paying a non-refundable deposit of $100. Workshops and accommodations are available on a first-come-first-served basis, and waitlists are created as options fill. Your placement in a workshop or waitlist will be based on your registration time stamp.
- MCA will keep all registrants informed of movement in waitlists and openings. In the event that there is not a place in either first or second choices (workshop or accommodations), the $100 deposit is refundable after Tuesday, April 9, 2024.
- You will receive an invoice for the balance within two weeks with a deadline to pay. Your invoice will have a payment deadline. If you do not pay by the deadline or contact MCA to set up an installment payment plan, we will assume you are not attending the program and will offer your space to someone on the waitlist.
- Your payment balance will be based on your accommodation assignment, 2024 membership status and, if applicable, studio material fees. To expedite this process please renew your membership after you fill out your registration form if you have not done so already.
STUDIOS + ACCOMMODATIONS
Haystack studios and accommodations are roomy and light-filled, and unheated. All accommodations are shared – there are two-person cabins with and without bathrooms, three-person cabins without bathrooms, and two dorms. Generally one of the two dorms is all genders, and the other is reserved for women. For dorms and all cabins without baths, there are bathrooms one flight of stairs up or down. The registration form allows for roommate requests, which we do our best to honor! Studios are open 24 hours for work. There is no Wifi in the studios or cabins.
The program fee for MCA Haystack Workshop Weekend includes workshop tuition (3 days of instruction), all meals, and housing in a choice of Haystack accommodations. Most workshops also have a materials fee and/or supply list of materials to purchase. Materials fees vary by the workshop- see individual workshop descriptions for details.
MCA Member and non-member rates apply, see Membership Information
2023 Program Fees – 2024 Fees, Coming Soon!
Workshop tuition, meals, and housing in a shared DOUBLE CABIN with BATH
MCA 2023 Members $600
Workshop tuition, meals, and housing in a shared QUAD CABIN (four beds) and BATH
MCA 2023 Members $550
Workshop tuition, meals, and housing in a shared DOUBLE or TRIPLE CABIN (no bath)
MCA 2023 Members $500
Workshop tuition, meals, and housing in a shared DORM (no bath)
MCA 2023 Members $450
Workshop tuition and meals without housing (DAY STUDENT)
MCA 2023 Members $425
Cancellations received prior to Thursday, March 7 2024 will be refunded total workshop fees paid to date LESS the $100 non-refundable deposit.
(Example, $600 – $100 = $500, $500 is refunded.)
Cancellations received after Thursday, March 7 2024 will be refunded 50% of workshop fees paid to date, excluding the $100 non-refundable deposit.
(Example, $600 – $100 = $500, $250 is refunded.)
Cancellations received on and after Thursday, April 25, 2024 will receive no refund.
In either case, the MCA membership fee is non-refundable.
Built on a cliff overlooking Jericho Bay in the Atlantic Ocean, the Haystack Mountain School of Crafts has served as a muse to many who have come to create. Located on Stinson Neck in Deer Isle, Maine, the award-winning campus, designed by Edward Larrabee Barnes, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in February 2006. For more information about the campus and photos, visit Haystack’s website.
10:00 am -12:00 pm: Arrival/Registration
12:00 pm: Lunch
1:00 pm: Workshops begin
5:30 pm: Casual, Meet & Greet on top deck or around the fire
6:00 pm: Welcome and dinner
7:00 pm: Faculty Slide Presentations
8:00 am: Breakfast
8:30 am-5:00 pm: Workshops (Lunch at Noon)
6:00 pm: Dinner
7:00 pm: Instructor and Student Exhibition Opening/Reception in Gateway
8:00 am Breakfast
8:30 am-6:00 pm: Workshops (Lunch at Noon)
6:00 pm: Dinner
After hours: Music Night in Dining Hall
8:00 am: Breakfast
8:30 am-8:45 am: Remove personal belongings from cabins
8:45 am-11:00 am: Workshops
11:00 am-Noon: Studio walkthrough
1:00 pm: Departure
MCA GATEWAY SCHOLARSHIP FUND
The MCA Gateway Scholarship Fund provides full workshop tuition, room, and board for one student in the MCA Haystack Workshop Weekend program each year beginning in 2019. The scholarship aims to provide an opportunity for an emerging Maine artist who has not previously attended the MCA Weekend Workshop and is self-identifying as a member of an underserved community. MCA welcomes artists meeting this description to contact us directly and for educational and arts organizations who work with New Mainers, Native Americans, refugees, immigrants, and displaced persons in Maine to nominate artists for this scholarship. Please email Simonne@MaineCrafts.org to be considered or offer a nomination!
The MCA Instructor/Student Exhibition and Sale is held annually in the Haystack campus Gateway gallery during the Workshop Weekend. Program instructors and students are invited to contribute artwork to the Exhibition, and may choose to donate 50% or 100% of sales; donations benefit the MCA Gateway Scholarship Fund. The Exhibition is open to the public for a reception on the Friday evening of the MCA Haystack Workshop Weekend; the next Instructor/Student Exhibition will be Friday, May 10, 2024, from 7-8:30 pm in the Gateway Center.
For questions regarding the 2023 MCA’s Weekend Workshop @ Haystack registration or for more information please contact Simonne Feeney, MCA Programs Manager at Simonne@MaineCrafts.org